Sunday, February 7, 2010

The thing about Freedom...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100207/ap_on_el_ge/us_palin_s_people

Oh Sarah Palin, Sarah Palin, Sarah Palin.

Ok, so I don't usually like discussing religion or politics...especially when someone might share a different view than I do. It's not that I'm not open minded or I refuse to consider a view that's not my own, I just don't like debate. I'm no good at it and I don't like arguing, I don't like confrontation. And sometimes I have a hard time of it because I can actually see where both sides are coming from and understand both of their points. Plus...the few things I feel strongly about...I feel REALLY strongly about. It really upsets me when people want to push their beliefs on others...I'm a "can't we all just get along?" kind of girl.

But seriously. Come on! Sometimes a girl has to ruffle a few feathers. And after reading this article...this is one of those sometimes.

"Palin talked of limited government, strict adherence to the Constitution, and the "God-given right" of freedom."

Really? Well that sounds great...but this is being said by the same woman who wants to ban same sex marriage and abortions, among other things. (AND the same woman who is so supportive of a former President who got The Patriot Act passed...VERY Constitutional that was!)

"Freedom" she says. "RIGHT of freedom." Bush threw that word around too. We're fighting for our freedom.

So let's talk about freedom.

Freedom for whom? Those people you feel are worthy of it? People who share the same beliefs you do? If freedom is a God-given right...does that mean only the people who share your God deserve to be free? And only people who adhere to what YOU believe God will accept? And might I add that the beautiful Constitution Palin wants to stay so strictly adhered to mentions a little thing called separation of Church and State.

I'm sorry Ms. Palin...but here's the thing:

If you want to live in a truly free society, you have to accept that there will be some people that do things you don't agree with. Just like if I want there to be freedom of speech in this country, I have to accept the crap that comes out of your mouth. I'm sorry...was that inappropriate for an open, mature debate? I told you I was no good at this....

....to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment