Saturday, November 6, 2010

Things I Learned, Things I’ll miss

You know you’re not in the good old US of A when you say the words “peanut butter and jelly sandwich” to someone and they look at you like you have two heads.  Or how about “I’m going to iron my pants” and they look at you funny for a moment?
This was my experience last year when I went to stay with my Husband, boyfriend at the time, in England for 4 months. 
You see…when you’re in England and someone says pants…they mean underwear.  My mother-in-law (so exciting!  It’s the first time I’ve typed that since I got married!!) had to take a moment to realize what I meant :-)  And…when you say jelly?  They think Jell-O.  So you can imagine the looks.  BUT…even when I explained that by jelly I meant something akin to preserves, they STILL looked at me funny and think it doesn’t sound very appetizing at all!  And this from people who eat marmite! Blech!
We got trouble.
I found no grape jelly or saltines while I was there.  I’m sure they’re around there somewhere…possibly in some American shop that charges $40 for a box of 5 saltines…excuse me.  4…I don’t have a pound symbol button on my computer… I’m in a bit of trouble there…
Ahem…sorry for my groaning.  Just practicing being like a real British person ;-)  (I tease…get used to it!)
These little things are the things I will miss.  In addition to my family and friends, which goes without saying…it’s the things like saltine crackers and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that I will cry for.  And knowing where to go clothes shopping.
But, despite all I will miss, I am still excited to start my adventure!  And I am a member of a great group of American women living in the UK that understands and helps each other out from everything from home sickness to..finding saltine crackers
:-)
So follow my NEW blog…all about my experiences with my new home and all the new things I learn, while teaching them a thing or two ;-)  I am determined to discover the difference between Great Britain, Britain, United Kingdom and England!  It’s not as straight forward as you might think…
I will still continue with every day things, but the new blog will be devoted to all things UK!
So here we go…here’s to new experiences and appreciating what you miss!

2 comments:

  1. Love ya girl and look forward to mailing you crackers and peanut butter.....always here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yes! Peanut Butter and crackers! Either the natural Skippy or Peter Pan and Premium Crackers ;-)
    Love you Princess!

    ReplyDelete